Sunday, October 18, 2009

On a Visit to the Vietnam War Memorial



The wall extends beyond my sight
and casts a shadow dark and cold.
The names stretch to infinity . . .
I hear each whisper as I pass by,
"Will you always remember me?"
I touch the names and feel the pain
of the families who will always grieve
the lives cut short, what might have been.
A parent’s voice from every name
pleads, "Please do not forget my child."
The names are etched in all our hearts,
Their memories light up the sky
as each one cries out to the stars,
"I was here, I played my part.
Do you still remember me?"

                         H. Van Essendelft 
    
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Until the Gulf War, Vietnam veterans were pariahs to society in general. Prior to the Gulf War, I (as a VN War veteran) can remember the 1st question that most asked "How many people did you kill?". Unless people asked, I never claimed service "in country". After the Gulf War, people no longer asked the question. Now, they just thank us for our service. I know people on the Wall. I will never forget. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete